My Top Five Fave Toy/Comic Events of 2008

Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 by Shaun in Labels: , , ,
4

2008 was a year that really rocked on the toy/comic front, and here are the top five events for me.



5. Toy Shopping in Hong Kong



This year's trip was my third visit to the Fragrant Harbour, and turned out to be the most fruitful ever, fuelling this blog with content from September all the way to November. I'll go on record and state that Hong Kong is my favourite toy shopping location and I do hope to make an annual pilgrimage there. Also, I'll be looking forward to make the acquaintance of members of runrunhero.com, who've I've had brief interaction with and are based there, when I next drop by.

To revisit what I did and scored in Hong Kong this year, check out this series of posts.

4. Free Comic Book Day at G&B Comics



The cheery dude in the pix is Bernard, the owner of G&B Comics, and the key man who sustains my inexplicable addiction to DC Direct 13 Inch figures. Props to Eileen as well who keeps my reservations aside and often allows me to pick out the figures while she's still busy unpacking on shipment day. I think this year was the very first time G&B Comics pulled this off and it was way cool getting to score stuff for free from my fave comic shop. Thanks again, Bernard and gang.

3. Singapore Toy & Comic Convention 2008



This was our very first toy con, supported by the government, no less. I was fortunate to be allowed entry on media preview night and got to sneak a peak of what awaited everyone, over the next two days of the convention proper. I am so glad this happened, and that the substantial numbers of people proved the existence of this lucrative market segment. Anime Festival Asia 08 followed soon after, later in the year. I hope this event augers well for subsequent ones, economic situation permitting.

2. Visiting Singapore's 1:6 Toy Guru



I first made contact with Alex in '07 when he started blogging and emailed him for a bit and found we had quite a bit in common, namely our alma mater (Montfort) and understanding wives, besides our interests in 1:6 figures. I'm a Johnny-come-lately to the game, while he's got a 1:6 collection spanning 10 years, so it was only fair that I addressed him as the 1:6 guru, as he and his site is a veritable/virtual encyclopedia of 1:6 joys.

Alex kindly invited me to visit his place back in '07, but wisely told me to complete my part-time studies before doing so. Which made the eventual visit all the more sweeter. And let me tell you that it rocks, that Singapore's best private toy museum is but 3km (or less), away from my home.

1. Comics And Superheroes Exhibition at Singapore Philatelic Museum



Back in '05, I rhethorically asked how cool it would be to showcase your own collection in a national museum. I got the answer to my own question this year, as I had the opportunity to contribute items from my collection to the Comics And Superheroes Exhibition at the Singapore Philatelic Museum.

It was an educational and fun process setting up the exhibition, as I've detailed here. I am grateful for the opportunity to pull this off, and biases aside, I must say the exhibition turned out mighty fine.

So there you have it, the events that made 2008 really fun for me. I'd like to hear from you if you've similar memorable toy/comic experiences that happened this year to share.

tags:
| | |

4 comments:

  1. wah, no.2 on your list - that's quite an honour :) the pleasure's all mine, Shaun. the door to this "museum" is always OPEN to you. Have a GREAT 2009!!

  1. Shaun says:

    you would have been first if not for the exhibition this year my Guru. And thank you for the open invitation. :)

  1. Mick says:

    Your events are sounding like fun!
    I've been to Hong Kong some years ago. It was my first destination on a trip around the world.
    http://www.mickontheroad.com
    So there was no time for toy shopping, cause I needed to stay in my budget for the year on the road. But I would really like to go there again just for toy shopping.

  1. Shaun says:

    hi Mick, thanks for the link to your expedition round the world, sure looked like fun.

    Yes, 2008 was indeed a fun year for me in terms of toy/comic events.